I HAVE MOVED

I HAVE MOVED

Sunday, September 2, 2012

The mysterious glowstick xylophone

I spend a lot of down time browsing pinterest for inspiration and ideas for all of my artistic outlets. One day I came across a pin by Play at Home Mom for the glow stick xylophone shown here. I thought wow what a cool idea for a photograph and pinned it for later. Well I ran across some glow stick in the dollar store today and decided to give it a go.


My boyfriend and I immediately noticed that there was no aura given off by the glow sticks in the test shots we did. We tried a couple different shots with and without flashes and nada! Since we thought we had failed, we decided to do some light paintings with the glow sticks so they would not go to a complete waste. 



That's when it hit us it's a light painting! We used a creepy naked baby from our photography prop box to illustrate the child in the photo playing the xylophone as we don't have any children at our disposal. We set the baby down in place then turned off all the lights. You will want the room to be pretty dark so that hands do not show up in the picture. You will need to set the camera on a tripod or hard surface and set it up for a long exposure. We used a shutter release cable with the camera set in bulb mode and an external flash. If you don't have an external flash you can "paint" the scene with a flash light. We started the exposure then brought the glasses down from the top and set them in front of the baby one by one creating a light trail. After we sat down the last glass we manually fired the external flash to expose the rest of the scene (creepy baby). Viola magical xylophone aura!


Light paintings are fun to play around with and danbo is much cuter than the creepy baby so we had to do one with him as well. 



If you have any questions please feel free to leave comments bellow. Don't forget to follow me on facebook to stay up to date and pinterest because it is just plain fun! 





7 comments:

  1. pretty cool, just don't get why she would lie to ppl about what it does...kids look forward to trying this kind of stuff and when it doesn't work it bums them out.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe this thing is amazing and I would love to do this in my Chemistry Club at my High School. Can you tell me how to made the glow sticks give off the aura?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's even easier to do - use the REAR-Setting for your Flash on your camera - point camera to the ground - pull camera up while pressing the shutter-button.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I googled it after seeing it on FB, and I think it came from this site and blog entry: http://playathomemom3.blogspot.ca/2011/07/glow-sticks-thinking-outside-box_17.html and she very clearly says beneath the exact photo I saw on FB, that the aura is just an effect of the camera (likely she moved the camera by accident on a long exposure, not moved the glasses). Who knows who turned it into a "make an aura by hitting the xylophone".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the original post she did not have that posted underneath the photo. I am sure it has been updated as this blog post and hers are almost a year old.

      Delete
  5. I don't think she ever "lied about" it being an aura, someone uploaded it to pinterest (probably) or a blog and added that text, someone else took a screen shot and passed it around. Her correction came after she realized her unattributed photo was being misused.

    ReplyDelete